The Final Journey
(for TTL…childhood bro)
By Apolinario Villalobos
For a guy who loves life so much
Moving on without turning back
Is hard to make, done with regrets –
And one last gasp is all that it takes.
It makes us wonder sometimes
How fickle life can be –
But who are we to question His wisdom
That designed our finite destiny?
All I can do for now is look back
– to the time we climbed acacia trees
– to the time you lent me your scooter
– to the time we traversed a “mountain”
– to the time you accidentally fired your gun
– to the time you exhausted the gas of your bike
looking for me in the middle of the night
– to the time we told ourselves, the future’s bright
You were never seen without a smile on your face
Not even the ever tiresome trek up Mt. Apo’s peak
Once you told me, “ in all we do, just enjoy every minute –
He is just around, His gaze not leaving us a bit”.
For your loved ones, letting you go is hard to do
But we cannot hold you back, dear bro,
Tears shall no longer make us see
As you embark on your final journey….